Timothy Richards | UK
NYC Edition Chrysler Building Sculpture | Custom Chrysler Building Plaster Model | Made in England | Timothy Richards
Limited Edition Chrysler Building Sculpture | Custom Chrysler Building Plaster Model | Extraordinary Quality and Detail | Made in England | Timothy Richards
Limited Edition of 480
Designed by William Van Alen
When – 1928 to 1930
Where – New York, USA
This detailed scale Timothy Richards Limited Edition model of one of the most iconic New York monuments would make a beautiful Art Deco statement piece for any living room, office or study as a reminder of New York and glitz and glamour of the 1920s.
When Tim first travelled to America he stayed at the infamous Carter Hotel off Times Square. When leaning at full stretch out of the window of this hotel Tim could see the Chrysler building, so characteristically synonymous with the city of New York and Manhattan itself. The hotel room had a phone of which Tim used for two mornings to persuade the Chrysler management to allow him three hours unrestricted access to explore the building.
The Chrysler building was designed by William Van Alen and owned by Walter P. Chrysler. The building is synonymous with the glitz and glamour of the era with both the excesses and depression of the years in which it was built. It occupies a central Manhattan position and with its spire, was the tallest building in the world for a short time. The building boasts an iconic spire and sunburst design. This is cruciform groin vault constructed of seven radiating, terraced arches. These arches are mounted one on top of the other.
This model shows the building above the eagle terraces. It shows the terraced crown of the Chrysler building. The model is finished using white gold, moon gold and yellow 22 carat gold leaf. On the lowest levels of the model lead sheet has been applied over the plaster. The model shows two faces with a flat hollowed back finished with hand-made glass. The model is presented on a 10” x 10” metal plate to give it stability.
Each model is supplied with an account of how Tim gained access to the building and what he found on the highest floors. It was as if the Prohibition Party had just finished. With no plans to work from, Tim built the model master from multiple photos taken over just a few American trips. Only recently was he finally able to find the blueprints of the spire used to decorate the walls of an office in Washington.
- Weight: 6kg
- Dimensions: 34” x 7” x 4”
- A substantial, impressive, piece of art that will make a most thoughtful gift.
- We are able to personalize this a variety of ways. In the past we have created engraved plates that we have attached, placed it on a base with engraving and attached it to a silver tray with engraving.
- Please allow us to know your timing requirements. We are delighted to do what we can to accommodate you.
- This model is hand-made to order.
- If you require this by a certain date, please allow us to know.
- Our complimentary, luxury gift wrap is always available
- If this is an award or special gift, please allow us to know and we will do our best to accommodate you with appropriate text to be included.