Timothy Richards | UK
NYC Ellis Island Architectural Sculpture | Custom Ellis Island Statue | Building Model | Made in England | Timothy Richards
Ellis Island Architectural Sculpture | Custom Ellis Island Statue | Custom Building Model | Plaster Model | High Quality Detail | Made in England | Timothy Richards
Designed by Edward Lippincott Tilton and William Alciphron Boring
When – 1900
Where – New York, USA
This Timothy Richards scale façade model would make a beautiful statement piece for any living room, office or study as a reminder of the great journey that many immigrants made to get to the United States.
Over one hundred million Americans are able to trace their ancestry to a man, woman or child, whose names are recorded in the great registry room on Ellis Island. Based in the Upper New York Bay area, Ellis Island was the gateway to the United States from 1892 – 1954.
When the wooden structure burnt down in 1897 a competition was launched to design a fireproof immigration station. Tilton and Boring won the competition at the 1900 Paris Exposition with their French Renaissance Revival style design to build the first phase. This included the main building (which this model shows) the powerhouse, hospital wings and laundry. The building opened in December 1900 built of red brick with limestone trim. This was one of the first federal buildings to be designed by a private architect, rather than those directly employed by the government.
- Measures approximately 12 inches left to right, 8 inches in height and 6 inches front to back
- Weighs just under ten pounds
- A substantial, impressive, piece of art.
- Hand created in England by Timothy Richards
- This model is hand made to order and may take quite a bit of time
- If you require this by a certain date, please allow us to know.
- Please regard this as a sample of what we may produce for you on a commission basis.